Sunday, January 11, 2009

HANDICAP

While studying psychology, a lot of views came into my mind. I believe I should share it with others. So, learning psychology is one of the reasons why I started blogging. While studying psychology for my final exam, I came across with one topic that is coping with handicap. In the topic, the writer wrote:


“The pattern of social reactions to the handicapped person in the community will also be likely to have psychological effects. Physically able people often report feelings of discomfort and uncertainty when interacting with a handicapped person”


From my experience, I strongly agree that physically able people do feel, from my point of view inappropriate discomfort when dealing with a handicapped person. To make the matter even worse the feeling of discomfort is without any valid reason. Therefore, I believe the handicapped people, in some way are being discriminate by us, the “normal” people. I have no experience of becoming a handicapped. But, I think, I had a similar experience. Let me share with you my story and I will also reveal a few pictures that not many of my friends have seen it.


5th September 2002, it was Thursday. My parents, my twin brother and I boarded a plane to Saudi Arabia. We were planning to perform our umrah. We arrived in Jeddah, at 2pm local time (7pm Malaysia time). From the airport, we took a bus from the airport to Medina. We spent few days in Medina. On 8th September 2002, while on our way to Mecca to perform our umrah, the bus that were carrying my family and I, together with about 40 more pilgrims from Malaysia involved in an accident. The bus collided with a lorry. As a result, the bus caught into fire. The fire started just beneath me. Due to the collision, I was trapped at my seat. Alhamdulillah after a few trials, I managed to get myself out. Then, I was sent to King Fahd Hospital in Medina for treatments.



The bus.

Because of the accident, I suffered from 45% burns and a fracture. I was hospitalized in King Fahd Hospital for 17 days. During the hospitalization period, I underwent one major skin grafting surgery. I was wheeled into the OT at 9am and wheeled out at 5pm. After 17days, I was transferred to Kuala Lumpur Hospital where I was hospitalized for nearly 3 months. I had another skin grafting surgery in Kuala Lumpur Hospital.


Raihan came and visit me in HKL.



Treatments for burn patients do not end once you have been discharged from the hospital. Treatments for burn patients take years. In my case, I completed my treatments in June 2006. So, it is about four years. It took a long time because the therapists have to make sure all the scars have to be matured or else there will be excessive collagen growth resulting in formation of kelloid. My medical friends should now. During the 4 years of treatments (I personally call it the longest 4 years in my life), I have to wear a special garment, pressure garment 24/7 to control the formation of scar. Believe me, wearing that is very uncomfortable. Because I also had burns in my face, I had to wear a special mask. The cost of making that mask is RM7000. I wear in day and night and everywhere I go.



Me at school wearing the mask


Back to our topic, from my experience, when I wore that mask, I can’t deny that people were looking at me. Alhamdulillah, I am hati batu person. So, I don’t care much what people said and I don’t border about all the attentions I received. How about other people? For your information, in Malaysia, most burn patients are children. When they have to wear the mask, people are looking at them. Do you know how they feel? As a result, there are many cases reported that children refuse to wear the mask.


Sometimes, the children also being tease by their friends. We can’t blame their friends because that is the nature of children. But, I am angry to the parents. They should explain to their children not tease their friends. Explain to their children that their friend is currently in treatments. Parents sometimes failed to do this. I remember, back in 2003. I went out with my sister to KLCC. I wore the mask. We sat down to wait for my brother in law. There’s a child with his mother. The child was staring and pointing at me. I chose to neglect it. Then, the mother came and asked my sister what happened to me. My sister explained to her. As the mother of the child walked away, my sister heard the mother of the child said to her son: “Tu mesti anak derhaka”. She even encouraged her son to point and stare at me. Is this the appropriate way to raise a child? And how can she make such a conclusion when she doesn’t really know me at all? As far as I can recall, I never heard my parents’ feelings or derhaka to them.


Brothers and sisters, I do believe that we should not treat the handicapped people differently. Treat them as normal as possible. We shouldn’t feel discomfort when dealing with them. Remember that they are also human and they have feelings as well.

2 comments:

AzM@d said...

takpe anas...dugaan datang dari Allah kekadang akan lebih mendekatkan kiter kepadaNya! ...Alhamdulilah, look what a nice person you turn out to be! Bukankah Allah tahu what is good for us even when we think it is not good for us and vice versa... proud to have a great friend like u

ANAS!!! said...

thank you azmad