Sunday, June 14, 2009

DPM: English not a ‘must pass’ for SPM?

That is the title of a newspaper article in The Star, Tuesday 9th June 2009. According to the article the Deputy Prime Minister who is also our Education Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin was surprised to learn that English is not a “must pass” subject for SPM. He said it was a revelation to him as he had always thought that it was a prerequisite since students had to learn English in school. He was also shocked to learn that national schools no longer taught English grammar. It came as a shock for him but NOT for ME! I have always known that our schools no longer taught grammar.


There you see it. That is the main reason why our students failed to master English. They are not exposed to grammar. As said by Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, students were now merely learning communicative English. How can students learn English without knowing grammar? I believe that it is time for us to review back our education system. What I can see from our education system is that we adapt education system from other countries. Education systems made by other countries ware made specifically for their people and their needs. It may not be relevant for us. Here, I don’t mean that we can’t adapt education system from other countries but if we decide to do so, we must blend it or assimilate it with our needs.


What I am going to say next may upset certain people but I do believe that I should just say it. I have kept it for a long time. To my deer English Peers Batch 12 IIUM Medical Students, frankly speaking I am actually against the idea of organizing impromptu speech. I discussed about this with few people before this but they disagree with me. That is why I kept my mouth shut at the entire time. I am telling here now because at least our DPM agrees with me i.e. we have the same thought. The reason why I disagree with impromptu speech is that you are applying the communicative English method of teaching English. You are applying the method that has been proven to be a failure. Therefore, you can’t expect to improve students’ performance by using the method that has been proven to fail. (Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh) I applauded the move to conduct programmes such as spelling bee and know it right. It is indeed very good and a good opportunity to the students. Keep up the good work. Remember, this is just a one man point of view and I always will give my fullest cooperation to you guys.


Before I end my posting, to our education minister, now that you have already realized that, I sure hope that you make necessary actions! As for making English as a muss pass for SPM, I believe that research on pros and cons of it should be done first. But, personally I think it is not a good idea.


Note: Sorry if it hurts anyone.

No comments: