Monday, December 29, 2008

CONGREGATIONAL PRAYER

I just got back from IIUM Mosque where I performed my zuhur prayer there. After the prayer, I sat there for awhile just to have some times to relax. I notice that while a group of people who was performing their zuhur prayer congregationally, guy came in. Instead of joining them, he prayed by himself. Individually. Why does he join the group? Doesn’t he realize the benefits of praying congregationally?

The Holy Prophet has also stated: “It better to join another person and pray than to pray alone and it is more superior in the company of two men and the bigger the congregation the more liked it is by Allah.” (Abu Dawûd)

The Holy Prophet says in another tradition: “He who attended the congregation for Isha prayer, he received the reward of half the nights worship and he who attended both Isha and Fajr prayer with the congregation he received the reward of the whole nights worship.”
(Tirmidhi)

I have noticed this long time ago. Whenever I went out with my friends, when it came to performing our prayer, my friends and I will be the one praying congregationally. Some may join us and others avoid and perform their prayer individually.

From my point of view, performing our prayers congregationally is actually a symbol of our unity. How can we be a strong ummah when we avoid uniting?

No comments: